Monday, September 10, 2012

Wainscoting in nursary

This was over a year ago...
Mckinley was on her way, I had about 6 weeks to go till our fourth child was here and the nursery had not been started yet!  What I had to work with was a small bright colored blue room where my once 8 year old had chosen the color :)  One thing I did love about this room though is the awesome wood floors!  We live in a small older home and I love to make it look it's age!  So wainscoting it was!  This project took me and my mom 2 days (I was huge pregnant so if I could do it you could too!) to complete, under $100.00 and it turned out amazing!!!


What you will need:
1x8's -go around room horizontally on bottom and top.
1x4's - go around room vertically every 15 inches or so.
small trim - placed between 1x8's and 1x4's
paint/primer
liquid nail
nail gun
nails
saw
level


STEP 1:
Prime and Paint walls white.  I used satin primer/paint in one...makes for less steps!  My girls felt they were contributing by painting with me :)  After about 20 minutes I took over and fixed what they started :)





STEP 2:
Once the paint is good and covering on the walls it is time to start measuring all the walls and cutting the boards.  Once the boards are all cut, prime and paint the boards.  Priming and painting before putting the wood on the wall is much easier than trying to get it all painted once installed.



STEP 3:
Once your boards are all painted start attaching to the wall with a nail gun.  If you do not have a nail gun just use a hammer and nails...just will take you much longer!  On the bottom wood you do not need to miter the ends to meet because you are going to be covering it with a small a trim piece of wood. Wrap the walls with the 1x8's all the way around the room (even in the closet).


STEP 4:
I do not have a picture for this but add the small trip wood on top of the 1x8's.  These you do need to miter.

Step 5:
Add 1x4's all around the room.  You can choose any amount of width between each board, I choose 15 inches from each center.  Remember you have outlets so keep them in mind before you start installing...this might determine how far apart you make them.  You will need a level and liquid nail.  I went around the room and marked with a pencil where to put each board then put liquid nail on the back of each then put on the wall then put the level up to it to make it straight.


                                                                                    Step 6:

Again...I do not have a picture for this but add the small trip wood on top of the 1x4's.  These you do not need to miter because the 1x8's will be over them.

Step 7:
Attach 1x8's on top of the trim piece's.  You do need to miter on this step.




Step 8:
Use wood caulk and go along each piece of wood filling and rubbing with your finger.  This is a very messy step but makes a huge difference!

Step 9:
Touch up paint.

Step 10:
Sit back and look at an amazing job you've done!!!


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment